Thursday 1 January 2015

NATURAL SKINCARE ROUTINE - From Our Tumblr Friends At softgothnanny

To close out the year, Molly and I decided to make a skin care masterpost! We both get tons of questions about the products that we use, so here’s a list with prices, locations, and information about each one. Hope it helps!
The first thing you should know is that skincare is an investment. It can be hard to find the perfect combination of products that works for you, but once you do, it’s worth it. This may require some shopping around, although it can be assisted by going to stores that do free skin consultations (such as Lush, which will work with you one-on-one to find the perfect cleanser for your skin). It’s also important to note that switching to all-natural products may mean your skin needs some time to adjust and react, but in the long run it’s worth it!
Also, please remember that we are not dermatologists—if you are on a prescribed medication or routine, please consult your doctor before taking any of our suggestions.
Our skin types (so you know the type of products we have been using)
Katie: combination leaning towards oily, w/ seasonal dryness and occasional breakouts
Molly: combination leaning towards oily with severe winter dryness and hormonal breakouts
**They are pretty similar but our products do vary and certain things that worked for one of us did not necessarily work for the other!
Skin History:
Katie: In terms of breakouts, I have always struggled with moderate acne (especially during my preteen years). Because of that, I’ve been using very harsh skin products such as astringent toners and benzoyl peroxide for many years. Since switching to all natural products, my skin has never been more even or clear. Keep in mind that I am now 20 years old and past the puberty breakouts; however, I had my 15 year old brother try some of my products on his hormonal acne and it helped immensely in just a few days.
Molly: I never had very many issues with my skin, but I did struggle with dry patches and hormonal breakouts through high school and college. After switching to natural products, I found that my skin looked much more even and stayed clear with no dry patches. Definitely an improvement!
-Skincare is a combination of products that are right for your skin and learning how to take care of your skin. Make sure you’re changing your pillowcases frequently, not touching your face (a habit that many people find is more common than they think), and drinking enough water. You can also make sure breakouts don’t get any worse by not picking or squeezing at them, no matter how tempting it is!
PRODUCTS
Cleansers
Up + Up deep cream cleanser (Target, $3.74)
SKIN TYPE: Acne prone/any
This is the store-brand generic wash I used for YEARS. It kept my skin clear and worked well for its price, although I prefer using fewer chemical-based washes on my skin now.
Neutrogena oil free acne wash (grapefruit) (Target, Walmart, various drugstores, $7.59)
SKIN TYPE: Acne prone/any
This cleanser has those little microbeads in it - which I’m sure we’ve all heard at no good at this point! However, this is relatively cheap and smells really good. I don’t use it a lot since switching to all natural products, but it was my favorite out of the drugstore brands. It is a little harsh on the skin though, so I recommend switching between this and a simple cream cleanser if this is the way you go! It does help with breakouts.
Yes to Tomatoes gel cleanser (Target, Walmart, Ulta $9.99)
SKIN TYPE: Acne prone/any
This cleanser is what I use when I feel a breakout coming on! It leaves my skin a little dry, but using a moisturizer right after gets me ready for the day. It doesn’t leave me totally matte though, which is something to watch out for if your skin is more oily!
Aqua Marina (Lush, $12.95)
SKIN TYPE: Sensitive
(Katie) I used this for a few days while visiting Molly, and although it is very gentle, it wasn’t perfect for my skin (which is used to an exfoliant cleanser such as Herbalism). It left me a bit too matte and dry for my taste! However it is very gentle and good for sensitive faces.
(Molly) Although this cleanser does smell a little like the ocean, it cleans so beautifully that I’ve gotten used to it (I also had a very bad cold when I started using it, so I couldn’t really smell much anyway). It’s great at calming any redness on your skin and is definitely good for sensitive skin, and while it does leave your skin matte, it can be a little dry as well. If you don’t have naturally oily skin, I’d recommend having a moisturizer you can use after on hand.
Herbalism (Lush, $13.95)
SKIN TYPE: Combination/oily
Herbalism is what the Lush workers recommended to me after I told them my skin type (this was in the summer, so it was pretty oily). It is specifically designed to strip away oil and cleanse without drying you out too much. It feels soothing and fresh! Overall, this is my magic product. It COMPLETELY cleared up my face and evened my skin tone, making it so that I don’t even wear foundation anymore. I would recommend this to anyone who has ever struggled with oily/combination skin or acne!
Angels on bare skin (Lush, $13.95)
SKIN TYPE: Combination/sensitive - did not work for me (katie) though
I was super excited to try Angels, but it actually did not work too well for my skin. I’m not sure if it was the time of year (December), or getting used to something other than Herbalism, but my skin had a bit of a freakout. I ended up returning the product - I would recommend getting a sample first if you are switching from another all natural product. It smells wonderful and I really wish it had worked for me! It also feels like a stronger exfoliant than Herbalism, which could explain the dry patches it left.
Coalface (Lush, $13.95)
SKIN TYPE: ?????
I got a sample of Coalface in a Lush order and decided to try it (because why not, right?). Unfortunately, Coalface didn’t work at all for me. It left my skin way too dry, and after a couple weeks of use caused a strange breakout around my mouth and, after reading reviews on the Lush site, I learned I wasn’t the only one this happened to. I’ve heard it works miracles for very oily skin, but I’m still nervous to recommend it simply based on my own experience.
Buche de Noel seasonal cleanser (*received sample* Lush, only listed in big size, assume it’s same as angels pricewise)
SKIN TYPE: Dry. Very dry.
I got a sample of Buche De Noel after telling the Lush workers that I was struggling with seasonal dryness. However, this face wash is EXTREMELY moisturizing. It initially felt great, but after a day, my face was shiny and greasy. This product simply didn’t work well with my natural skin state. Again, I recommend getting a sample - it could be good for you if you live in an extremely cold climate or have very dry skin.
Toners *watch out for astringent toners; they are often really harsh on skin, so we’ve only included natural toners that are better for you
Tea Tree toner tabs (Lush, $1.95 **one time use, can then refrigerate leftover water for up to a week)
SKIN TYPE: Any
We both have yet to try this product (it’s coming in the mail!) but it is evidently very similar to the tree tea water! It is a deep cleanser steamer, which is a good treatment to do every once in a while. Bonus - you can store the extra water in a spray bottle and use it as a toner for up to a week. VERY good price for that value!
Tea Tree water toner (Lush, $9.95)
SKIN TYPE: Oily/acne prone
This toner is so nice - it is in a spray bottle, so you can just spritz it once or twice on your face after washing! It is specifically designed to help with breakouts and oily skin, and it’s great that you don’t have to apply it with your fingers. It keeps my skin feeling fresh - sometimes, I use in the mornings when I’m rushing and don’t have time for a full wash. I do use it less when my skin is dry, since it is intended to help with more oily spots (particularly T-zone).
Seaweed Clarifying toner (The Body Shop, $12.50)
SKIN TYPE: Combination/oily
This was the first toner I’d ever used, and I somehow landed on the perfect one. It helps keep my skin matte during the day, and using it after I wash my face at night picks up any leftover bits of makeup that just washing my face wouldn’t take off. It could be drying if you have naturally dry skin, so be careful when shopping.
Moisturizers
Pond’s Dry Skin cream (drugstores, $8.29)
SKIN TYPE: Dry
I picked this up at a discount store for $4, and it’s worth every penny. Gentle enough to use on my face but effective on any random dry patches with almost no fragrance, it’s also hypoallergenic and formulated for sensitive skin.
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream *large tub (Target, Walmart, ~$10)
SKIN TYPE: Very dry/for extra moisture
Cetaphil is what I turn to when I have extreme dry patches! I only use it at night, so it can soak in while I sleep. When my light moisturizer isn’t enough, I always use Cetaphil because it is extremely gentle and does the job! It can feel a little thick and greasy, so I don’t recommend it before putting on makeup, but overnight it works wonders.
Yes to Cucumbers Soothing Daily moisturizer (Target, Walmart, prices vary ~$10-15)
SKIN TYPE: Any/sensitive/relatively dry
I picked this up on vacation in 10 degree F weather. Needless to say, I had some extreme dryness that needed help! I had previously tried Molly’s Yes to Tomatoes moisturizer, but I feared something that stripped away oil would just leave me even more dry. I went with the Cucumber and fell in LOVE. It literally felt like giving my skin a drink of water. It is light, smells great, is not greasy, and does the job. I will definitely continue to buy this, as it left my skin balanced and moisturized, yet not oily!
Yes to Tomatoes Daily Balancing moisturizer (Target, Walmart, Ulta $11.19)
SKIN TYPE: Acne prone/any
This is the perfect summer moisturizer for me! It’s light enough to not leave me oily but still moisturizes and keeps my skin looking great. While it’s a little light for cold Northern winters, it works perfectly as a daily moisturizer and balances my skin.
Vitamin E Nourishing Night Cream (The Body Shop, $20.00)
SKIN TYPE: Dry/needs extra moisture sometimes
I picked this up on sale at the Body Shop and it’s lasted me well over a year, since I use it so sparingly. It’s superb as an overnight cream, especially in the winter when my skin is very dry, leaving my skin soft and feeling wonderfully balanced in the morning. I try not to use this during the day, as it can leave me a little shiny by the end of the day, but when the temperature drops well below freezing it’s the only thing saving me from horribly dry skin.
SKIN TYPE: Combination/oily
I received a sample of this before purchasing, and I definitely recommend that because of the price. However, this was a great buy for me. This moisturizer is made for oily skin because it has a matte finish. The woman at Lush described it to me as a moisturizer/primer hybrid, and I agree. It makes my skin look great without makeup, and I love how light it is. A little goes a long way, so I think the money is worth it, but I would say to test it out first because it is pricey! **Currently, I have switched to the cucumber moisturizer; although I still LOVE Enzymion, Yes to Cucumbers is better for the winter.
Extra Products
Freeman Facial Masks (Ulta, $3.99)
SKIN TYPE: Any/varied
I’ve used four or five of these masks and they’re all perfect for a stay-in spa night. One tube will give you at least 10 uses (share with a friend!), they’re cheap, gentle on your skin, and come in tons of lovely scents. My only warning is that the peel-off masks can be a little weird at first, but they’re definitely worth picking up as a little treat to yourself.
SKIN TYPE: Any
I don’t exfoliate very often as my skin is more sensitive, but this is gentle enough for me to use once or twice a week and feel like my skin is more clear and bright instead of torn to pieces. I would definitely recommend using your fingers instead of a washcloth to make sure it’s gentle enough for you.
Burt’s Bees Herbal Blemish Stick (Anywhere that carries Burt’s Bees/Target, $8.00)
SKIN TYPE: For specific blemishes
I bought this a while ago at a random grocery store, and while I don’t use it often, it does do the trick! However, it stings. It’s a little rollerball that you can use directly on your breakouts that zaps them practically overnight. It wasn’t a quick fix 100% of the time, but it lasts forever and worked well enough for me to keep using it! **Although it stings, it is all herbal - no chemicals!
SKIN TYPE: For specific blemishes, but a larger area
Since I suffered with acne as a preteen, I’ve been using heavy duty chemicals on my skin for a while. During breakouts, I used benzoyl peroxide a LOT. This may be the reason Grease Lightning didn’t make a huge difference for me. I use it more now that my skin is used to all natural products and it does a decent job on breakouts. At Lush, they also recommended it for piercings, so I stick some on my nose occasionally. I would base the usefulness this product on your skin history!
Mask of Magnaminty (Lush, $24.95)
SKIN TYPE: Combination/acne prone (deep cleaning)
This was a splurge and although I loved the mask, I can’t say it’s a must have. It’s a deep cleansing mask that I used when I had hormonal breakouts. It definitely helped calm them and made my skin super soft, but I ended up throwing out a lot of it because I used it sparingly and it expired. If you buy this, use it once or twice a week to make sure you use it up! It’s nice, but there is definitely cheaper out there that probably does the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment